Friday, October 31, 2008

A bit about bits of landscapes

ACEO stands for Art Card Editions and Originals. They are cards of artwork measuring 2.5 x 3.5 inches (6.4 cm x 8.9 cm), the same as a standard playing card. These small original works of art are great for collecting or displaying in small groupings.

About three years ago I started making small ACEO landscapes. It started, in a way, as a relearning process; I remembered things while making them I hadn't though of in years, because I hadn't really painted much with water colors since high school in the 1980's. My small studio and increasing sensitivity to oil paint fumes has since steered me away from the paints I loved into new ground. Or new old ground.

Yes, the titles of my recent landscape paintings are all songs from the eighties. During the 1980's I lived on a farm in a very rural area of New York State. There wasn't much to do for fun, except ride my horse over all the farms and woods, or on the endless dirt roads. Many of the landscapes and skies I saw back then were the inspiration behind these paintings- and like most of my work; they are painted from memory, not from life or photographs.


As this series continues I am beginning to run out of song titles. I may have to go into the 1990's, or better yet, go back to a simpler time 1970's? 1940's? I don't think there is a such a thing as a simpler time. Time is never simple, and neither are memories that resurface as vague watercolors
.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I got the package of cards! I am so pleased, I feel like I received a gift and not a purchase :)

    Thanks for all the little extras too. I need to find the right frames for the cards now.

    Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little landscapes. And you know I'm a sucker for good titles ;).

    Keep up the spectacular work!

    ReplyDelete