Friday, November 14, 2008

A strange lack of rabbits

I had a customer who bought my art comment once that I must have lots of white rabbits and spend all day watching them to be able to paint them with so much life and character.

Well, in truth, I don't have any rabbits. I did have one a long time ago, and he wasn't even white, he was brown. Don't get me wrong, I would love a yard full of them, but unfortunately, so would my dogs and cats, and not in the way that would be nice for the rabbits.

cuz face
Two of my crazy dogs.

A lot of my inspiration is other people's rabbits, but as I paint all out of my head even I am never sure where these bunnies come from. Or why they are hugging birds, stealing horse carts, flying to the moon or hanging out with the odd android or Grizzly bear.

It may sounds cliche but I *do* sometimes wake up first thing in the morning and go- "Oh! A little white rabbit eating supper with a mouse and drinking carrot wine!"- then go paint it. The stories behind the painting comes during the painting process or after the painting is finished. Of course the mouse and the rabbit are old friends, and they have dinner together all the time because they are lonely and don't get along with other mice and rabbits. It makes perfect sense.

6 comments:

  1. that is still cool that you make rabbits :) your dogs are so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dog would like me to get some rabbits too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! It makes perfect sense to me, too! :)
    And your dogs are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I said that to you at one point, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Folks often assume I have cats. Truth is ... I have a dog. I've had several cats over the decades (or--they've had me), but none in the house right now.

    Even so ... they fascinate me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your Etsy shop and absolutely LOVE your bunny art!! We have 7 bunnies of our own, so your art strikes a chord with me. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete