Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sir Isumbras as a Rabbit



My new painting "The Ride Home".

I was doodling in my sketchbook the other night and there was a tv program about medieval weapons on and I starting thinking about knights and paintings. Specifically Sir Isumbras at the Ford by Sir John Everett Millais.

My original sketch showed Three bunnies on the back of a spotted pony, but I liked the idea of a bunch of bunnies ridding another animal so much I grabbed my last piece or Arches watercolor paper and "The Ride Home" is what I came up with.

It's not a rabbit version of "Sir Isumbras" per se, but it does throw a definite nod to the PRB and to Millais as well.

6 comments:

  1. Just stunning, simply stunning! You did a fantastic job, I love how you took something old and made it yours. Really fantastic, it brought a huge smile to my face, in the midst of a really bad day. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. I love seeing how to think and come up with your ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is just wonderful! and the story behind it adds so much to the "flavor"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! What a cute illustration! I love the trees and the sky - beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete