Sunday, October 18, 2009

October Rain


It has been a beautiful October here in the Pacific Northwest. I couldn't have asked for a better time to turn 40. It's the first birthday here in Seattle that I can remember it not being overcast and raining.

But, my birthday has come and gone, and so apparently has the sunny weather.

I started this painting then went out to play with the dogs in the rain, and to make sure our newly cleaned gutters were doing their job. Well, a gust of wind took out my already collapsing umbrella, and I finally had to admit it was done for. I have had this umbrella a long time, it's not that special, I don't think I paid more than $8 bucks for it new, but you know how you get attached to things you've had awhile.

So back inside, drying off, I started once again to work on the painting. Originally I envisioned the umbrella as a bright red one, but painting in the first layers of shadows it naturally took on the black and white stripes like the umbrella I just reluctantly threw away.

So there you have it, my little tribute to the loss of an umbrella and loss of the sunny weather. Sometimes it just happens that way.

2 comments: